Anambra Ready for September 22 Resumption – Commissioner
The Anambra State Ministry of Education have expressed their readiness for schools to resume following the insistence by the Federal Government, that the September 22nd resumption date for primary and secondary schools in the country would not be extended.
The State’s Commissioner for Education, Prof. Kate Omenugha who made this known, affirmed the State’s readiness to tackle the scourge of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) even before the directive by the Minister of Education on September 5.
Omenugha said: “Even before the meeting with the Minister of Education, in Abuja, on September 5, Anambra has been proactive in preventing the EVD from gaining entrance into the State.
“At the moment, we have trained 1, 044 Head teachers of Primary Schools, 21 Education Secretaries, as well as 256 Secondary School principals. My ministry met with the Ministry of Health to further train about 5,000 teachers last weekend.
“So far, so good, having met severally with relevant stakeholders in the state, to clearly define what they should do ahead of and on resumption, we are indeed ready for the September 22, resumption”, she said.
It will be recalled that the Federal Government had earlier directed all private and public primary and secondary schools to remain closed till 13th October, 2014 as a preventive measure against the spread of Ebola Virus.